Coming to train in the UK

International Medical Graduates (IMGs) (from outside of Europe) wishing to come and train in the UK must obtain a work permit and registration with the General Medical Council (GMC) before they are able to take up a post. 

Overseas qualified specialists from outside of Europe who want to work as a consultant in the UK must apply for entry to the GMC’s Specialist Register. The Training and Education section of the College website contains information regarding entry to the Specialist Register via CESR.

Doctors with funding from the authorities in their home countries who wish to train in the UK should read the below statement from the College International Committee.

Pathology training in the UK

Pathology training in the UK is divided into five main specialties.

Each pathology specialty has a curriculum outlining the entry requirements, minimum length of training and requirements for the award of the Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT).

The Royal College of Pathologists oversees training in chemical pathology, diagnostic neuropathology, histopathology, forensic histopathology, medical microbiology and virology and paediatric and perinatal pathology.

Doctors seeking information about these specialties should look at the relevant curriculum:

The Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians Training Board (JRCPTB) oversees training in haematology and immunology.