Frequently Asked Questions

International Medical Graduates Wishing to Obtain Training in the UK

I want to be a pathologist. What qualifications do I need?

Can the College find me a training post?

How do I get a clinical attachment?

Will moving to the UK prior to obtaining a training post increase my chances of success in recruitment rounds?

Where can I get more information about becoming a Consultant in the UK?

Do I need to be registered with the College in order to perform postmortems in the UK? Even if I am currently registered with the GMC?

Do you offer training programmes for overseas candidates in the UK?

Where can I find further information regarding the forensic pathology programme?

Obtaining General Medical Council Registration

What are the different routes to GMC registration in the UK?

How do I obtain General Medical Council (GMC) registration?

Do I need to be registered with the GMC in order to train in the UK?

I am currently registered with the GMC. Do I also need to be registered with the College in order to work as a consultant in the UK?

Medical Training Initiative - MTI(Path)

How can I apply for training in the UK?

What is the Medical Training Initiative (MTI)?

How do I know if I'm eligible for the MTI(Path) scheme?

How long does it take to process an application?

Do I have to sit the IELTS exam in order to be eligible for the MTI(Path) scheme?

Which countries recognise the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)?

My IELTS result won’t be ready until after the deadline, what should I do?

Can I still apply for the MTI(Path) scheme if more IELTS certificate is more than 2 years old?

What if I have already been offered a placement with a UK Trust?

I would like to offer a trainee a placement. Please can you advise me in regards to this?

We have already identified a trainee who we would like to join our hospital on the scheme – is this allowed?

Work Permits

What are the new regulations for work permits for international medical graduates?

How will the changes to work permit regulations affect me?

Who is exempt from the work permit regulations?

Can the College obtain a work permit for me?

FRCPath Overseas Examinations

How can I find out if I’m eligible to take the FRCPath examination?

How do I apply to take the FRCPath exam?

Where can I find information about International examination centres?

Is the FRCPath/Diploma written exam sat overseas at the same time as the written exam in the UK?

Membership of the College

How can I become a member of the College?